Evil Ted Smith
Director / Costumer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ted Smith, director of the indie sci-fi cult classic Guardian of the Realm, knows moviemaking from start to finish.
He conceived the story for Guardian, co-wrote the script, built all of the creature costumes and many of the props, and personally went out to sell it at screenings and conventions. He learned firsthand what it takes to get something on screen, be it in a theater, or on Showtime or Netflix.
Smith's lifelong passion for sci-fi - yes, he was that boy, artistically inclined and enamored of Star Trek and Space 1999 - took him from St. Louis to Los Angeles, where he has spent 25 years building miniatures, props and costumes for hit TV shows and films.
Recent work includes the Klingon Gatling Gun in Star Trek: Into the Darkness, and swords and machetes for Walking Dead - all using Smith's specialized method of foam fabrication that makes light objects seem heavy and, often, deadly. Also on his extensive resume: Batman Returns, The Fifth Element, Contact, Titanic, Spy Kids, Valkyrie, The Kingdom, The Muppet Movie, Power Rangers, Alias, CSI Miami, Mad Men, and Arrested Development.
But Smith doesn't limit himself. He's donned monster suits in many movies, including Return of the Living Dead 3 and The Guyver. He toured with music legend Rob Zombie, managing the live stage and effects and appearing in several videos. His steampunk cyborgs have won attention at the annual artistic desert enclave known as Burning Man. Stylists scramble to borrow from his costume closet. And yet back in St. Louis in the late 1980s, his Batman lost out as Best Costume at Archon because no one believed it was handmade.
That only spurred Smith to keep creating. His first feature-length film was the action-packed Guardian of the Realm, released in June 2004. It went on to a long cable run and international DVD release.
Now he's got two projects in various stages of development: Space Pirates, a fun action-adventure film featuring tough women; and Steel Angel, a web show about a disgraced female soldier who's only got herself and a vintage mech suit to stop enemy invaders.
Convention Guest Appearances
- Animé Los Angeles 2024 - January 4-7, 2024 in Long Beach, CA, USA 2023
- Nightmare Weekend Richmond 2023 - October 13-15, 2023 in Richmond, VA, USA
- Costume-Con 2023 - April 21-24, 2023 in San Jose, CA, USA
- Animé Los Angeles 2023 - January 5-8, 2023 in Long Beach, CA, USA 2022
- Holiday Cosplay Tampa Bay 2022 - December 10-11, 2022 in Tampa, FL, USA
- SiliCon 2022 - August 27-28, 2022 in San Jose, CA, USA
- Washington State Summer Con 2022 - June 17-19, 2022 in Puyallup, WA, USA
- Animé Los Angeles 2022 - January 6-9, 2022 in Long Beach, CA, USA 2021
- Holiday Matsuri 2021 - December 17-19, 2021 in Orlando, FL, USA
- Archon 2021 - October 1-3, 2021 in Collinsville, IL, USA
- Planet Comicon Kansas City 2021 - August 20-22, 2021 in Kansas City, MO, USA 2020
- Animé Los Angeles 2020 - January 9-12, 2020 in Ontario, CA, USA 2019
- A-Kon 2019 - June 27-30, 2019 in Dallas, TX, USA
- Northern FanCon 2019 - May 3-5, 2019 in Prince George, BC 2018
- All-Con Dallas 2018 - March 15-18, 2018 in Addison, TX, USA 2017
- Renton City Comic Con 2017 - September 16-18, 2017 in Renton, WA, USA
- Hydra Comic Con 2017 - June 17-18, 2017 in Santa Clara, CA, USA
- Long Beach Comic Expo 2017 - February 18-19, 2017 in Long Beach, CA, USA 2016
- Archon 2016 - September 30 - October 2, 2016 in Collinsville, IL, USA
- Long Beach Comic Con 2016 - September 17-18, 2016 in Long Beach, CA, USA
20 confirmed guest appearances