Jenna Coleman is an English actress best known for her role as Clara Oswald in the British television series Doctor Who.
Born in Blackpool, Lancashire, England, Coleman began her acting career at an early age as a member of a theatre company called In Yer Space. While auditioning for drama schools, Coleman was chosen to play Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale. Her performance garnered much critical acclaim and was nominated for the Most Popular Newcomer award at the 2007 National Television Awards. She went on to other roles in successful BBC productions including Lindsay James in the school-based drama series Waterloo Road, Susan Brown in an adaptation of the John Braine novel Room at the Top, Annie Desmond in Julian Fellowes' four part mini-series Titanic, and Rosie in Stephen Poliakoff's original drama series Dancing on the Edge. She also appeared as Lydia Wickham in the BBC drama Death Comes to Pemberley. Marvel comics fans will also recall Coleman as Bucky's girlfriend in the hit film Captain America: The First Avenger.
Not a stranger to voice over roles, Coleman provided the voice for the character Princess Melia Antiqua in the English dub of the 2011 Nintendo Wii exclusive Xenoblade Chronicles. In 2012, Coleman was cast as Rosie in the drama series Dancing on the Edge, which follows the fortunes of a black jazz band in the 1930s.
In 2012, Coleman began her tenure as the eleventh Doctor's companion on the long running BBC series Doctor Who. Sworn to secrecy during the audition process, Coleman would refer to the project only as Men on Waves (an anagram for "Woman Seven") when asked what she was auditioning for. Producer Steven Moffat remarked that one of the primary reasons Coleman landed the coveted spot was because of the chemistry she shared with Smith and her innate ability to talk faster than him during scenes together.
Coleman's first appearance as The Doctor's companion was originally planned to happen on the 2012 Christmas special however she made a surprise appearance earlier than expected, playing a relative of her character Clara Oswald, Oswin Oswald. Oswin subsequently died later in that particular episode and appeared again as her own distant relative in the episode, "The Snowmen." Her final incarnation as Clara Oswald was introduced in the episode, "The Bells of Saint John," where she carried on as The Doctor's regular companion, continuing on in her role as companion when current Doctor Peter Capaldi stepped into the role. Her run as Clara Oswald concluded in 2015 with the show's 9th series.
In 2016, Coleman was seen in the television drama Victoria as Queen Victoria. Chronicling the early life of the Queen from her accession to the throne to her courtship with Prince Albert, the series aired to rave reviews on ITV in the United Kingdom. Following the success of the first round of episodes, a second series has been ordered and is currently in production. 2016 also saw Coleman voice a character on the revival of the classic Gerry Anderson supermarionation series Thunderbirds Are Go.
Convention Guest Appearances
- Armageddon Auckland 2020 - October 23-26, 2020 in Auckland, New Zealand Live via Video Feed
MegaCon Orlando 2020 - April 16-19, 2020 in Orlando, FL, USAConvention Postponed 2019
- London Film & Comic Con 2019 - July 26-28, 2019 in London, UK 2018
- Wales Comic Con 2018 - December 1-2, 2018 in Wrexham, UK
- Chicago TARDIS 2018 - November 23-25, 2018 in Lombard, IL, USA
Rhode Island Comic Con 2018 - November 2-4, 2018 in Providence, RI, USACancelled Appearance
- Comic Con Paris 2018 - October 26-28, 2018 in Paris, France
- Middle East Film and Comic Con 2018 - April 5-7, 2018 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans 2018 - January 5-7, 2018 in New Orleans, LA, USACancelled Appearance 2017
- FACTS 2017 - October 21-22, 2017 in Ghent, Belgium
- Oz Comic-Con: Sydney 2017 - September 30 - October 1, 2017 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Oz Comic-Con: Brisbane 2017 - September 23-24, 2017 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Wizard World Comic Con Chicago 2017 - August 24-27, 2017 in Rosemont, IL, USA
Phoenix Comicon 2017 - May 25-28, 2017 in Phoenix, AZ, USACancelled Appearance MegaCon Orlando 2017 - May 25-28, 2017 in Orlando, FL, USACancelled Appearance
- Ottawa Comiccon 2017 - May 12-14, 2017 in Ottawa, ON
Wizard World Comic Con Minneapolis 2017 - May 5-7, 2017 in Minneapolis, MN, USACancelled Appearance (Re)Generation Who 2017 - March 24-26, 2017 in Baltimore, MD, USACancelled Appearance 2016
- New York Comic Con 2016 - October 6-9, 2016 in New York, NY, USA
- San Francisco Comic Con 2016 - September 2-4, 2016 in San Francisco, CA, USA
- Boston Comic Con 2016 - August 12-14, 2016 in Boston, MA, USA
- Tampa Bay Comic Con 2016 - August 5-7, 2016 in Tampa, FL, USA
- Denver Comic Con 2016 - June 17-19, 2016 in Denver, CO, USA
- Awesome Con 2016 - June 3-5, 2016 in Washington, DC, USA
- Fan Expo Dallas 2016 - June 3-5, 2016 in Dallas, TX, USA
MegaCon 2016 - May 26-29, 2016 in Orlando, FL, USACancelled Appearance
- Planet Comicon Kansas City 2016 - May 20-22, 2016 in Kansas City, MO, USA
Emerald City Comicon 2016 - April 7-10, 2016 in Seattle, WA, USACancelled Appearance
- Magic City Comic Con 2016 - January 15-17, 2016 in Miami, FL, USA
- Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans 2016 - January 8-10, 2016 in New Orleans, LA, USA 2015
- Doctor Who Festival 2015 - November 13-15, 2015 in London, UK
- Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo 2015 - September 25-27, 2015 in Edmonton, AB
- Salt Lake Comic Con 2015 - September 24-26, 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT, USA
- FanExpo Canada 2015 - September 3-6, 2015 in Toronto, ON
Fan Expo Dallas 2015 - May 29-31, 2015 in Dallas, TX, USACancelled Appearance Emerald City Comicon 2015 - March 27-29, 2015 in Seattle, WA, USACancelled Appearance
- Indiana Comic Con 2015 - March 13-15, 2015 in Indianapolis, IN, USA 2014
- Armageddon Expo Auckland 2014 - October 24-27, 2014 in Auckland, New Zealand
- Armageddon Expo Melbourne 2014 - October 18-19, 2014 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- London Film & Comic Con 2014 - July 11-13, 2014 in London, UK
28 confirmed guest appearances